Image by:Jolyn Garcia Buddha in an Artichoke
this is my favorite peiece in my art collection because it makes me think of fall!
Fall brings abundance in so many ways. I actually felt this instinctual urge to pick tons of apples from my parent’s trees and dehydrate them! As the weather cools and the days get shorter, it is a great time to enjoy all the ripe fruits and vegetables. I look forward to a trip around the Fruit Loop and a visit to the Pumpkin Patch to stock up and enjoy the crisp air and golden light.
Now is also the time to begin building up our immune systems for the coming cold and flu season. And while cold and flu season is something we can’t avoid, actually getting a cold or flu is not inevitable. Here are four great tips to combat viruses and infections as the seasons change.
1. Reduce sugars and caffeine.
I always encourage my patients to build their immune systems by eating less sugar, coffee, alcohol, and simple carbohydrates. A teaspoon of sugar suppresses your immune system for 6 hours. Think about your intake and find alternative pick me ups such as almonds, fresh fruits or vegetables and plenty of water.
2. Hearty, nourishing foods.
Diet is one of the best tools we have to stay healthy and fight all forms of disease. One of my favorite fall treats is homemade bone broths. I love using Chinese herbs to add to the broth, and boost your body’s immune system. I have included a great recipe for you to try below.
3. Continue to get regular exercise.
Summer is over and we won’t be able to do all the great summer activities such as, kayaking, hiking, biking and swimming. However, a healthy immune system is dependent on regular exercise. Have you thought about what activities you can do to keep your body moving during the fall and winter months? Yoga, kickboxing, or Qigong are some great alternatives for winter fitness.
4. Acupuncture, of course
Acupuncture is also a great way to boost your body’s natural immune system! Come in if I haven’t seen you in a while, and I will take $10 off your first visit back or wave your copay.
I hope you will all enjoy the changing of the seasons and stay healthy and happy this fall.
Bone Broth RecipeThis is my favorite way to boost your immune system! I like using left overs of parts and pieces from veggies.
For all my Vegan/Vegetarian clients you can also just do a potassium broth by only using potatoes, carrots, parsley, celery, and Chinese Herbs!
- 2 pounds (or more) of bones from a healthy source (Leftovers from roasting a chicken, beef, or duck.)
- 2 chicken feet for extra gelatin (optional)
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- bottom of the celery and small inside pieces with leaves
- 2 potatoes with skins on
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- Chinese Herbs(I carry a package that is already to use with immune boosting herbs)
- Enough water to cover all of this
- Optional: 1 bunch of parsley, 1 tablespoon or more of sea salt, 1 teaspoon peppercorns, bay leaves, and additional herbs or spices to taste. I also add 2 cloves of garlic or a full head for the last 30 minutes of cooking. The more garlic you use to more antiviral effects!